A strategic vision for D

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon May 7 10:27:32 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 at 04:59:58 UTC, germandiago wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 at 12:26:25 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> [...]
>
> My 2 cents. I have been following D for a long time and started
> using it in a very small project. I am a very long term C++
> user.
>
> [...]

Interesting analysis.  These are pretty much the points of
technical and marketing emphasis today, so it appears the current
message resonated with you.

However, I was talking about more from the point of which markets
D would target first, ie the types of end users who'd use D,
whether game programmers or compiled GUI apps. So far D's gained
some traction at startups that need performance.

One issue with the current approach is that they seem to
implicitly assume that D needs to match or surpass C and C++.
Can't disagree with the betterC approach as that's really needed,
but I'm not sure if D should want to be a better C++. Certainly
app devs don't really care about @nogc and the current systems
programming emphasis aimed at C++ devs like you.

My point is that whatever that strategy is should be clearly
articulated, or you may even undermine yourself by not thinking
through carefully what your goals are.