D as a college language

Sameer Pradhan pradhan at cemantix.org
Tue May 8 17:19:25 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 at 07:37:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/4/2018 4:35 AM, Sjoerd Nijboer wrote:
>> Since D seems to be a language that supports a lot of
>> programming
>> paradigms very well, wouldn't it be beneficial to learn people
>> declarative programming using D for a little and from there
>> expose them
>> to other programming styles in thesame language to lower the
>> barrier of
>> entry?
>
> I agree that D being a multi-paradigm language makes it ideal
> as a vehicle for teaching various paradigms. New paradigms can
> be taught without the diversion of having to start over
> learning a new language.

Walter,

I am considering teaching the programming languages course again
in Spring but this time simply using D.

Would you be willing to provide me with some advise in the
process of converting the one that I had put together based on
Dan Grossman's course at UW and which used SML and Python in
addition to D. (Dan uses SML, Racket and Ruby). I would like to
know if I can purely use D, or at least minimize the use of the
two other languages without sacrificing the insights provided by
those two languages.

Your response indicates that you have a very positive outlook on
such a transition and I could help knowing that I am not
compromising on the quality of the student's learning experience.

--
Sameer