Bugzilla & PR sprint on the first weekend of every month

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 04:44:33 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 at 18:48:15 UTC, Seb wrote:
> What do you guys think about having a dedicated "Bugzilla & PR
> sprint" at the first weekend of very month?
>
> We could organize this a bit by posting the currently "hot"
> bugs a few days ahead and also make sure that there are plenty
> of "bootcamp" bugs, s.t. even newcomers can start to get
> involved.
>
> Even if you aren't too much interested in this effort, being a
> bit more active on Slack/IRC or responsive on GitHub on this
> weekend would help, s.t. newcomers interested in squashing D
> bugs get over the initial hurdles pretty quickly and we can
> finally resolve the long-stalled PRs and find a consensus on
> them.
>
> What do you think? Is this something worth trying?
>
> Maybe the DLF could also step in and provide small goodies for
> all bug hunters of the weekend (e.g. a "D bug hunter" shirt if
> you got more than X PRs merged).

I like this idea, but for reviewing/merging items as IMO that
needs more focus (of course, we could combine the two).

Again, just my opinion, but a crucial part is coordination
between regular committers to get stuff reviewed and merged fast
(especially for new contributors participating with PRs). Being
on Slack/IRC and being responsive is of course the big one there,
as you mentioned. Maybe also creating gitter chats for
dmd/druntime/phobos so new contributors have a single point of
contact?

Due to a sharply increased workload at my day job I can't be
available at most times for such a sprint, but I would
participate over a weekend. If I know further in advance, I can
commit to being active and available over the whole of the
weekend. For this upcoming weekend, probably only Saturday and
maybe Sunday night.

Whether anyone else wants to throw their hat in or not, I'll make
sure to be online for Saturday at least, and dedicate a good
portion of the day to reviewing PRs and trying to push them
through.