is the ubuntu sourceforge repository safe?

Jonathan M. Wilbur jonathan at wilbur.space
Wed May 9 22:19:11 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 at 10:01:17 UTC, Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 11:02:55 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Sun, 2017-07-23 at 18:23 +0000, Michael via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I stopped using it. It kept causing error messages in my
>>> package manager and I couldn't update it properly so I've
>>> just stuck to downloading the updates on release.
>>
>> If we are talking about D-Apt here
>> http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/  it seems to be working fine for
>> me on Debian Sid.  2.075 just installed this morning.
>
> I stopped using it a while ago as it was constantly causing me
> problems with being unable to check for new package updates. It
> was right when sourceforge was issuing security warnings and I
> couldn't be bothered to try and deal with it.

Just following up on this, because I had the same problem:

1. Use wget or curl to download the .deb right from the archive

wget
http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2018/dmd_2.080.0-0_i386.deb

2. Try to install it with dpkg

dpkg -i dmd_2.080.0-0_i386.deb

### If you experience errors, add the following steps. If not,
skip them.

3. Update your cache

sudo apt-get update

4. Download the dependencies, if you need to. In my case, I
needed libc6-dev and gcc, which you *would normally* install like
so:

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev gcc

But I had errors when trying to do that, which were resolved by
running:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

###

5. Finally, run `dmd --version` to test that it works!