[DUB][DLS] building package dls doesn't finish

Kamil Koczurek koczurekk at gmail.com
Sat May 12 11:15:59 UTC 2018

On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 22:56:09 UTC, Kamil Koczurek wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 01:00:31 UTC, Rubn wrote:
>> On Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 09:32:38 UTC, Kamil Koczurek wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I installed an atom extension for D support, but it requires
>>> dls package to be installed and built. When I fetch and
>>> attempt to build it (with --build=release) it just says that
>>> it's building and doesn't change even if I leave it running
>>> for several hours.
>>> What can I do to fix it? Or do I just leave it overnight?
>>>
>>> Ps. Sorry if it's a wrong section, it's my first time posting
>>> here.
>>
>> Download ldc2 and use --compiler=ldc. DMD's optimization is
>> incredibly slow with O(N!) time depending on what you are
>> doing.
>>
>> Try build the debug build to see if that is the issue. If your
>> debug builds quickly then that was probably the issue. But in
>> general you'd probably want to use LDC for tools you are going
>> to be using.
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> It didn't help at all, I just realized it doesn't actually
> start building dls, it stops while doing something with
> dependencies. I ran it with -v and that's the last line it gets
> to: "Return for libddoc: [(long list of versions)]". Here's the
> full log: https://pastebin.com/1xaAa4VG
>
> When it happens dub starts using 100% of one of my CPU cores,
> guess that might be important.

Okay, I thought that it may be a problem on my side so I set up
an Ubuntu container with docker and ran just those four commands:
- apt update
- apt install dub
- dub fetch dls
- dub build dls -v

And got an almost identical result, but this time at the and dub
also printed the following:
>The dependency resolution process is taking too long. The
>dependency graph is likely hitting a pathological case in the
>resolution algorithm. Please file a bug report at
>https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues and mention the package
>recipe that reproduces this error.

Guess I'll just report it. Not sure if I should notify people
maintaining dls too though.