Sealed classes - would you want them in D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon May 14 07:02:37 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 at 15:48:53 UTC, KingJoffrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 May 2018 at 13:38:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Mike's right. D's encapsulation model is designed around the
>> module.
>
> Actually, that is not true. If it were true, then I could do:
>
> ------------
> module test;
> void main() { i = 2; }  // sorry, but i belongs to another unit
> of encapsulation
> void foo() { int i = 1; }
> ------------

No, it would be like:

module test;
void main() { foo.i = 2; }
of encapsulation
void foo() { static int i = 1; }

...and I think there might be point in allowing that.

Non-static members could also perhaps be accessed in case of
fibers, but that would likely be tough to implement and/or
complicate the runtime.