Is D releasing too often?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon May 14 07:20:48 UTC 2018

There have been 6 major releases of dmd over the last year, with
ldc trying to keep pace, currently only one release behind. This
is a big jump up from the previous release schedule, I see 2
major releases in 2014, 3 in 2015, and 3 in 2016.

There are obviously pros and cons to each pace, and this has been
debated internally before, with one of the ldc devs again posting
to the Internals mailing list today questioning the current speed.

I thought I'd open it up to the community: now that you've
experienced this faster pace, as a user of the D compilers, how
do you like it? Would you prefer a slower release schedule, say
3-4 major releases a year?

I thought 6/year was an ambitious schedule when announced and I
wonder if it isn't putting too much strain on our few release
maintainers, maybe 3-4 releases/year would be a more gradual bump
up.