Sealed classes - would you want them in D?

Norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Tue May 15 03:32:22 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 at 02:32:05 UTC, KingJoffrey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 at 02:00:17 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

>>> If 'getting a module to respect the enscapsulation boundaries
>>> the programmer puts in place would change the language so
>>> 'fundamentally', then the language 'already' presents big
>>> problems for large complex application development.
>>>
>> Evidence for this claim please.
>
> - Object independence
> - Do not violate encapsulation
> - Respect the interface
>
> All large software projects are done in (or moving toward)
> languages that respect these idioms.
>
> Those that don't, are the ones we typically have problems with.
>
> Isn't that evidence enough?

I'm seeing the opposite, more and more large applications
adopting Python as much as possible and replacing big chunks of
the C++ core and leaving only those C++ chunks where performance
is all that really matters.

Encapsulation boundaries are completely arbitrary and where D
choses to draw the line works very well in practice.

Bye,
Norm