Why is 64-bit dmd not built as part of the Windows release?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:01:28 UTC 2018

I don't know why even bother with 32-bit dmd to begin with, but
at least there should be an option.

I just spent 45min trying to build 64-bit dmd on Windows. It
wasn't fun. "Isn't it just make -f win64.mak?", I hear you ask.
Yes. If you want a version with debug messages turned on. It took
me 45min to learn that disabling those is... non-trivial.

As it turns out, trying to build dmd yourself from the released
tag and replacing the .exe from the installer by the one you
created works, unless:

1. You remove -debug
2. You add -O

If you do #1 or #2, then the produced dmd.exe doesn't work. At
all. 32 *or* 64 bits. And this is something you need to edit the
makefile for, trying to do that from the command line was an
exercise in futility.

"How does the installer-built version work then?", I again hear
you ask. No idea. Debug 64-bit dmd it is!

I *would* try and add a 64-bit dmd to the installer, but
apparently to build the Windows installer you need a special
Windows box commisioned by the Vatican and blessed by the Pope
himself.

Atila