Sealed classes - would you want them in D?

Dlang User dlang.user at gmx.com
Tue May 15 17:21:23 UTC 2018

On 5/15/2018 10:17 AM, aliak wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 at 13:16:55 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
>> The way you use the word "leak" make is sounds that this is
>> unintentional, while in reality it is intentional by design. That why
>> reading the specification is important!
>>
>> Alexander
>
> Ya I guess you be right - but a leak is what it is to people who expect
> private to mean private. Which is not a small number of people ;)
>
> And while I agree reading a spec is important. Language specs are not
> known for being trivial to go through and it's not really something you
> read but more of something you refer to, and that also probably for more
> advanced developers. This is not something you can expect newcomers or
> even intermediate level devs to go through. And the less you need to
> refer to a spec the better (i.e. more intuitive) a language is.

I concur with that.  When I first started learning D (coming from a C#
background), I figured that I already knew all of the OOP stuff and
didn't dig too deeply into it, figuring that it worked pretty close to
the same as C#.  It did catch me off guard when I first realized how it
really worked in D.  But the work around (putting it in its own module),
seemed pretty trivial and is what I typically do in C# anyways, so it
didn't bother me too much.