Sealed classes - would you want them in D?

KingJoffrey KingJoffrey at KingJoffrey.com
Wed May 16 03:36:39 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 at 03:12:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> It specifies what private does quite accurately. If you want
> something that's trying to point out how you might
> misunderstand the spec or what problems you might run into,
> you'll need to read something like Ali's book. The spec is
> telling you how the language works, not trying to tell you how
> you might misunderstand it or what misakes you might make. And
> the information it gives there is quite accurate and complete.
> Honestly, I would have thought that knowing that private is
> private to the module would be plenty to understand what that
> then means for structs or classes, but everyone thinks
> differently and absorbs or misses different pieces of
> information. But ultimately, anyone who doesn't understand
> something is free to ask in places like D.Learn or
> stackoverflow.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

To suggest that "Symbols with private visibility can only be
accessed from within the same module" - is all you need to know
(if you're lucky to find the needle in the haystack), is kinda
elitist.

People expect norms to be the norm. That's entirely reasonable.

If I see a STOP sign while I'm driving, I expect it means STOP,
not 'STOP..if.."

If I see private, I expect it means private, not 'private..if'.

The language reference could, and should do better.