Of possible interest: fast UTF8 validation

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:12:08 UTC 2018

And at the risk of getting this topic back on track:

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 at 20:34:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Linkers already do that. Alignment is specified on all symbols
> emitted by the compiler, and the linker uses that info.

Mea culpa. Upon further thinking, two things strike me:

1) As suggested, there's no way to instruct the front-end to
align functions to byte boundaries outside of "optimise for
speed" command line flags

2) I would have heavily relied on incremental linking to iterate
on these tests when trying to work out how the processor behaved.
I expect MSVC's incremental linker would turn out to be just
rubbish enough to not care about how those flags originally
behaved.

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 at 20:36:10 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It would be nice to get this technique put into std.algorithm!

The code I wrote originally was C++ code with intrinsics. But I
can certainly look at adapting it to DMD/LDC. The DMD frontend
providing natural mappings for Intel's published intrinsics would
be massively beneficial here.