Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri May 18 14:32:33 UTC 2018

On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 12:26:14 UTC, Gheorghe Gabriel wrote:

> Good idea. Or: private(this)
> Because using "this" it is easier tu put this code in a mixin
> for multiple classes.
> Example:
>
> string var = "private(this) var;";
>
> class A {
>     mixin(var);
> }
>
> class B {
>     mixin(var);
> }

As clean and uncontroversial as this proposal might be, it
unfortunately doesn't resolve the biggest issue. If you try to
write Java code in D, you're still going to be using private, and
you're still going to be caught by surprise. And this is another
step in the direction of C++ (we need to think of beginning
programmers every so often) so there are costs. It's possible
that since I rarely use classes I'm not seeing the large benefits.