Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

KingJoffrey KingJoffrey at KingJoffrey.com
Sat May 19 04:01:18 UTC 2018

On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 16:24:24 UTC, Gheorghe Gabriel wrote:
> On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 15:57:06 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 15:40:52 UTC, KingJo
>>
>> class A {
>>    private int x;
>>    private(this) int y;
>> }
>>

> I agree that this looks a bit strange.
> My initial proposal was "sealed" instead "private(this)" today.

Mmm.. that brings me back to the idea of sealed at the class
level again.

class A
{
    private int x;
    private(this) int y;  // imagine if you have lots of private
variables.
                          // this could become pretty anoying -
and kinda redundant.
}

class A
{
    private int x;
    sealed int y; // again, what if you have lots of private
variables that
                  // that you really want sealed.
}

// Now. Back to the idea of sealed.
// abosolute consistency of your private variables.
// no redundancy.
// no some 'private', some 'sealed' confusion.
// no some 'private' (but really public) some 'private(this) ..
confusion.
//
sealed class A{
     private int x;
     private int y;
}

downside, is adding a new keyword, and getting agreement on what
that new keyword should be.

So I've come full circle again, and believe my idea is worth
further consideration.