Generate Ddoc without compiling?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 12:53:47 UTC 2018

On 5/21/18 8:37 AM, Jonathan M. Wilbur wrote:
> I want to put in a feature request, but I want to gauge whether it is
> even feasible or not, but a little background first:
>
> I am trying to create a Makefile to build the HTML documentation for a
> Dlang project. I would like to be able to update a single HTML file if
> the corresponding source changes, without having to recompile all of the
> others. My rule looks like this:
>
> $(DCOMPILER) -o- -op -d -Df$@ $<
>
> But that does not work, because some of the compiled modules import
> other modules, and the rule fails because DCOMPILER can't intelligently
> pull in the other source files. I think requiring a complete compile of
> all source to build the HTML documentation is a big impediment to making
> D highly scalable.
>
> Having said that, I don't see why it would be technically impossible to
> make DMD build the HTML (almost) without regard to the validity of the
> source code. Is this possible? And moreover: *should* it be done? Is it
> a bad idea?

1. I don't think it requires compiling all other files.
2. You may want to use -c (not sure what the exact error is you are
receiving)
3. You may need to specify where the other includes are with -I (not
sure what the exact error is you are receiving).

I'm fairly certain D can do what you want it to do. But difficult to
tell without more context/example.

-Steve