Help with DMD internals

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 13:10:16 UTC 2018

On 5/20/18 9:49 PM, Manu wrote:
> On 20 May 2018 at 17:14, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 5/20/2018 12:28 PM, Manu wrote:
>>>
>>>     Is re-initialisation to 'init' part of destruction,
>>

>> No.
>>
>>> or is it a
>>> separate post-process? (I feel it's a post-process)
>>

>> Yes, and only for delete.

Why? This doesn't make a lot of sense, since delete is freeing the
memory, it shouldn't matter what state the memory is left in. I would
argue that should only be done in debug mode, and actually, I wonder if
some other kind of sentinel memory pattern should be written instead.

> destroy() also seems to do it.

Yes, because destroy leaves the memory available for reuse. This is
intentional.

-Steve