Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

KingJoffrey KingJoffrey at KingJoffrey.com
Mon May 21 14:30:21 UTC 2018

On Monday, 21 May 2018 at 13:39:12 UTC, Sjoerd Nijboer wrote:

> While you might say that a unittest shouldn't acces private
> members and only public members, there are plenty of testcases
> where one would want to write a unittest to set a given
> variable via public function and then test if the appropriate
> private fields are properly set. While this sounds like a
> trivial usecase I believe it to be a verry big one in practice
> since it removes a lot of boilerplate code from your
> unit-tests, together with exposing the innards of a class's
> implementation to the outside world just so you can unit-test
> it.

I have to ask, why isn't that unittest your talking about, within
the scope of the class? Why is it outside the class, testing
private innards of the class?

I have trouble getting my head around this.

> The last point is something I don't like about OOP + TDD in
> languages like C# or java and I think D has (accidentally)
> solved this in a beautiful way, and I would dislike to see this
> feature go.

I'm not sure I understand this. You mean you don't like 'private'?

You think an object doesn't have a right, to privacy?

Are you one of those facebook employees?

And who suggested getting rid of anything?