Ideas for students' summer projects

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 10:00:31 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 03:43:16 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 16:27:05 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu wrote:
>
>> Let the brainstorming begin!
>
> An LDC or GDC cross-compiler generator for the Raspberry Pi.
>
> There are already some instructions out there (e.g.
> http://d-land.sepany.de/einstieg-in-die-raspberry-pi-entwicklung-mit-ldc.html), but what we really need are shell scripts for Linux and Windows that we can download and run, and out pops a read-to-use compiler that can generate binaries on either Windows or Linux for the Raspberry Pi.
>
> See my GDC cross-compiler generator at
> https://github.com/JinShil/arm-none-eabi-gdc
>
> I do a lot of support for scientists, engineers, and
> entrepreneurs of other non-software-related disciplines.  The
> all need to write code and all want to create embedded systems
> for their research or their product.  I believe many of them
> would enjoy D (due to their current knowledge of C) for their
> work if there wasn't such a high barrier to entry just to get
> the development tooling set up.

Clarification:  It's not just the cross-compiler that we need.
We need the whole toolchain including druntime, phobos, and a
linker that can generated both dynamic and static-liked libraries
from a host PC.  Including other utilities from binutils, LLVM,
and even a debugger for remote-debugging from the host
development PC would be ideal.

Mike