CI buildbots

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Wed May 23 14:09:14 UTC 2018

On Monday, 21 May 2018 at 04:46:15 UTC, Manu wrote:
> This CI situation with the DMD/druntime repos is not okay.
> It takes ages... **hours** sometimes, for CI to complete.
> It's all this 'auto-tester' one, which seems to lock up on the
> last few tests.
>
> This makes DMD is a rather unenjoyable project to contribute to.
> I had a sudden burst of inspiration, but it's very rapidly
> wearing off.

As mentioned on GitHub, running the compile+fail testsuite
locally takes 10 seconds.
Typically a PR doesn't touch much cross-platform stuff and if it
does, you should get a negative reply pretty early from any CI.
If you use CIs to detect merge conflicts, they will also occur
locally.

As explained on GitHub auto-tester gives priority to PRs with the
auto-merge label and will constantly invalidate old builds
whenever something got merged, so it typically never completes
for a PR.
OTOH if your PR has been approved, it will have priority access
and normally it will be merged quite quickly.

That being said, if you have ideas on how to improve the
ecosystem, please let us/me know (except for adding new machines
to the auto-tester - that's something that seems to be out of our
reach).