Ideas for students' summer projects

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 14:25:44 UTC 2018

On 5/22/18 10:00 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 16:27:05 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu wrote:
>
>> Let the brainstorming begin!
>
> An apprentice for Walter.
>
> I think Walter needs an apprentice (or 10).  Too much knowledge about
> D's design decisions, present, and future are locked up in his mind.  He
> needs to be disseminating his knowledge, training the next generation of
> D maintainers, and widening the bottleneck that currently exists for
> fixing bugs and evolving the language.

I was actually thinking, we need really a layman's explanation of how
things work in the compiler. I'm not sure this requires apprenticeship,
it may just need more documentation.

Common questions I have when looking at dmd code:

Where is this in the source?
How do I know I'm in a function?
How do I know I'm in a template?
What module am I in?
How do I know what has been run?
What is the proper way to generate lowered code?

I recently fixed a bug in DMD for the first time at dconf. The PR still
hasn't been merged yet, but I'm confident about the fix.

But I really only was able to fix this because the way the code was
written -- essentially it was a string mixin, and I could see where the
error was in the string. But it took ALL DAY to find it. Knowing where
to look is hugely important (and I would never have found it without the
help of several people during the hackathon), but also knowing what you
are looking at is hugely important.

-Steve