Online impersonation

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Wed May 23 17:19:53 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 12:32:50 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I'm just going to warn everyone here that one person is posting
> as KingJoffrey, VectorThis, Grady Booch, FuckYou, and in this
> thread he is impersonating 12345swordy, and in others he has
> impersonated WalterBright as well.
>
> -Steve

Auch! I presume you are able to conclude this from looking at
logs etc, thanks for letting us know. I wonder if the post in the
name of BjarneStroustrup is from the same person.

Impersonation is a criminal offense [1] and should not be joked
with. It is also difficult to prevent in general. Impersonation
of another forum member is possibly easier to detect. Maybe some
sort of message signing could be implemented? Even without
impersonation, individuals posting under multiple identities can
only have unfair intents (especially in the same thread) and it
would be nice if the forum could expose this automatically. It is
a shame that this would require someone's time that could well be
invested elsewhere, but maybe it's just part of growing pains.

[1]
https://sharpcriminalattorney.com/internet-crimes/4971/online-impersonation-the-little-brother-of-identity-theft/