D's Destructors are What Scott Meyers Warned Us About

Rubn where at is.this
Wed May 23 23:34:53 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 22:47:21 UTC, sarn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 02:13:13 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> I would consider the current state with classes a bug.
>> So ticket please, it should not require a DIP to change
>> (although Walter may disagree).
>
> Unfortunately, the way __dtor and __xdtor work for classes
> can't be changed without the risk of breaking code.  (Even if
> the current behaviour is broken, users might be working around
> it.)

With the recent poll that was taken, D users seem to be alright
with fixing problems if it means breaking code. Especially if it
is to fix something that is broken to begin with. Not fixing
something that's broken because people might have workarounds
implemented for it seems kind of backwards to me.