extend foreach to work on non-arrays

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Fri May 25 03:09:26 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 at 23:22:56 UTC, IntegratedDimensions
wrote:
> If you can't find validity in the suggestion based on it's own
> inherent usefulness than the only way I can convince you is to
> provide examples that you actually find useful... that makes it
> difficult on my part and is not fair to me.

You are asking us all to do work for you. You're asking everyone
to learn about this new language element. (And yes, we would have
to learn, since it means the compiler is less able to find errors
in our code, because more code is valid.) You're asking Walter
Bright or another compiler developer to implement this feature
for you, and write the tests, and write the documentation, and
support this new code for years.

This is not an impossibly huge request, but it isn't trivial by
any means. There are two socially acceptable ways to get people
to implement something you want: convince them it's worthwhile,
or pay them.

Compare: there's no socket.io client or server library for D. You
should implement one. Does my saying so make you inclined in any
way to write a socket.io library?