Ideas for students' summer projects

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri May 25 12:23:35 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 03:56:32 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 16:27:05 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu wrote:
>
>> Let the brainstorming begin!
>
> Building and running the DMD test suite on vanilla Windows is a
> pain.  I never succeeded but it appears to require the user to
> first set up a posix environment and then battle environment
> configuration, and other vague dependencies such as whether you
> are building for 32-bit or 64-bit and whether Visual Studio
> 2017 is installed.
>
> I believe most contribute to D with a Linux development
> machine, but sometimes there are Windows-only issues that need
> to be solved.  For that we need to be able to build and test
> our changes on Windows without hassle.
>
> I'd like to see the requirement for a posix environment lifted
> by porting all makefiles to D, so the same code (with
> appropriate `version`ing of course) could be used to compile
> and build dlang repositories on all platforms without a lot of
> environment setup and configuration.  All that would be
> required a recent D compiler in one's PATH.
>
> See https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8162 for some working
> moving in that direction.
>
> Mike

Yep, `test/run.d` is a first step in this direction and apart
from the few shell tests, it should allow running the DMD
testsuite without the prior hassles. Though for the shell tests,
just using the shell shipped with the Windows version of Git is
enough.

I just gave converting the DMD Make build script to D a quick
shot and it doesn't look too complicated:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8293