Ideas for students' summer projects

meppl mephisto at nordhoff-online.de
Fri May 25 14:13:40 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 01:51:35 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 16:27:05 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu wrote:
>
>> Let the brainstorming begin!
>
> Make WebAssembly a thing in D.
>
> See
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/ejplfelcqsvjmdvxtsnq@forum.dlang.org
>
> Currently C++ and Rust dominate that domain.  D could kick some
> web asm there too.
>
> Mike

I am curious about binary size of microservies on webpages.
D-binaries tend to be bigger and the D garbage collector needs to
be within them. Then we would have to rely on LLVM drastically
reducing the binary size of static compiled apps.

If we say "its only for betterc" or "its only for bigger webapps
and nodejs-webassembly", it would be half assed - and in my
humble opinion too much of a disadvantage compared to rust. I
might be wrong of course