Morale of a story: ~ is the right choice for concat operator

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sat May 26 07:56:36 UTC 2018

On Friday, 25 May 2018 at 23:57:03 UTC, IntegratedDimensions
wrote:
> So, you think by forcing programmers to use a break, goto, or
> return at the end of a case somes errors but really what it
> does it make programmers less aware of the problems. They
> become less effective programmers in the long run.
>
> If you have a child, for example, and you always throw them in
> the pool with maximum amount of safety gear they never really
> learn to swim. You are trying to protect them from a
> *potential* problem but cause a real problem in stead. It is
> impossible to swim correctly with "floaties" because they
> change the physics and also offer a false sense of security.

You're confusing two things here. Yes, if we never use void[]
casts, pointers, goto statements ect, or at least study how they
work, we're gonna be helpless. But D does not prevent using them,
just makes you aware when you do.

For sure you won't learn to swim correctly with plastic pillows
only, but that does not mean they have to be made so that they
could break at any moment. It just means you have to take them
off sometimes.