Morale of a story: ~ is the right choice for concat operator

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Sat May 26 09:01:29 UTC 2018

On Friday, 25 May 2018 at 08:27:30 UTC, Dukc wrote:
>[...]
> result = (digit < 10? '0' + (char)digit: 'A' + (char)(digit -
>[...]
> Looks correct, right? Yes.
>
>[...]
>
> So, ~ may be a bit confusing for newcomers, but there is a
> solid reason why it's used instead of +, and it's because they
> have a fundamentally different meaning. Good work, whoever
> chose that meaning!

Sorry, but the mistake here is the fact that you wrongly assume C
behavior in C#. Adding chars to an existing string will result in
a string as in the language specification. The same '+' operator
works also with multicast delegates and I doubt that you'll
expect something else than a multicast delegate as a result.