On Forum Moderation

Malus malus at malus.com
Sun May 27 06:08:16 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 at 03:34:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> From time to time, the issue comes up.
>
> The standard here is professional demeanor. For what
> professional demeanor is, see:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Etiquette-Society-Business-Politics-Home/dp/1497339979
>
> Unprofessional demeanor will get removed at the forum staff's
> sole discretion on a case by case basis, as well as replies to
> it.
>
> For unprofessional demeanor, I recommend reddit.

I love reddit! (cause it's so unprofessional).

I wonder whether Freud might characterise 'etiquette' as a way to
protect society from the destructive, aggressive forces that
control the superego.

The premise of that being, that humans are unhappy animals intent
on aggression and destruction.

So 'etiquette' in that sense, is really a form of 'armour',
designed to 'protect us' from  savages.

Unfortunately, that same 'armour' is now frequently mis-used
throughout society, to protect us from all kinds of things, that
we don't agree with.

Freud speaks to this, somewhat, in Civilisation and its
Discontents. (i.e. the ongoing, never ending battle, for the
desire of individuality vs the expectations of society).