Remember the Vasa! by Bjarne Stroustrup

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue May 29 02:03:07 UTC 2018

On 5/28/2018 6:54 PM, 12345swordy wrote:
> No doubt that all this complexity is partially due to having a religious like
> zeal when it comes to preserving backwards compatibility.
>
> I mean create a new official file extension, so that it can make much needed
> breaking changes on it.
>
> For all the faults that D has, it is not afraid deprecate language features if
> it turns out to be a really bad idea.

If I was going to make a proposal to the C++ Standards committee, it would be to
deprecate the preprocessor. D has by now shown that all of it that matters can
be done with language features in a straightforward, hygienic manner.

Here's the D subthread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8mq10v/bjarne_stroustroup_remeber_the_vasa_critique_of/dzpwz76/