Remember the Vasa! by Bjarne Stroustrup

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue May 29 05:11:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 04:41:33 UTC, Komplex wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 03:56:05 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>
>> It seems C++ is following the road of PL/I, which is growing
>> language way beyond the point anyone can understand or
>> implement all of it.
>
> but that happened to the linux kernel too, long ago?

Not really.
First - Linux (for the scale) is architectured wuite well.
Second - language are way more composable and complex beasts then
systems. I bet I can understand most of Linux kernel in a couple
of years (w/o drivers and arch specifics beyond x86). Abstraction
and components/interfaces is time-proven technique that actually
works for the most part.

  In contradt I will likely never understand or have a good
picture of C++20 as a (semi-)coherent whole, not that I really
wanted to.

D is probably at the edge of what I can tollerate
complexity-wise. And we’ll get to simplify a few things soon I
believe.

> and yet...it's everywhere..and increasingly so...

It has evolved a lot. Yet I believe we can get better things done
w/o years upon years of churn. But that’s just a point of view.