Remember the Vasa! by Bjarne Stroustrup

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Tue May 29 07:25:39 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 05:47:32 UTC, Let-It-Go wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 05:11:27 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>
>> D is probably at the edge of what I can tollerate
>> complexity-wise. And we’ll get to simplify a few things soon I
>> believe.
>
> There is the core of the problem.
>
> Because you want to understand it all, therefore it must be
> simplified.
>
> This is not something that nature imposes on itself. It's
> entirely a product of the human mind.
>
> Why constrain ourselves in this way?
>
> Let it go, and let it grow ;-)

As a a compiler developer, I can guarantee that at some point you
_need_ to understand all of the language.
If you don't you will mis-compile code.

Also the more complex the language gets the more special-case
handling needs to be added to the compiler making it slower and
more brittle.

Unconstrained complexity growth is a pretty scary thing.