Remember the Vasa! by Bjarne Stroustrup

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue May 29 20:19:09 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 17:40:39 UTC, Tony wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 11:31:53 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 05:11:27 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
>> wrote:
>>> D is probably at the edge of what I can tollerate
>>> complexity-wise. And we’ll get to simplify a few things soon
>>> I believe.
>>
>> Within D, there is a bit smaller and cleaner language
>> struggling to get out!
>
> Seems like it could be broken into two languages, one a garbage
> collected object-oriented language. The other, C with
> metaprogramming and other "betterC" type stuff.

I don't think it's difficult to do that yourself. There's no need
to have a formal split. One example is that it's really nice to
have the GC available for part of the program and avoid it for
another part. @nogc gives you a guarantee. Different variants of
the language are a special case of this that is equivalent to
annotating the entire program to restrict behavior. That's rarely
desirable.