D needs to be honest

RhyS sale at rhysoft.com
Thu Nov 1 00:21:10 UTC 2018

On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 18:33:39 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> There was a change to the better started with the scholarship.
> The work done by the students is fantastic. Just have a look at
> the issues topic of the forum.
>
> At first I also thought the activity is stagnating but I was
> wrong. It is just fragmented. You can now chose between the
> forum, discord, Slack and also reddit.

There is almost no activity on reddit and its fairly stagnant. So
its fair to say the community is not split over at reddit.

The argument that D is split does not really apply because if we
compare to Rust...

https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/

Very active forum, with first page posts being at maximum 24h
hours old.

https://old.reddit.com/r/d_language/

D its posts on the same first page are reaching 2 month old
postings.

Rust is just as split between the Rust forum ( very active ),
Rust Reddit ( very active ), Rust discord, Rust Slack... so the
argument that D is split does not exactly hold water Andre.

Jonathan:

About half a dozen active forums topics per day is normal
activity for D. I have been dealing with D for over a year or 2
and can definitely confirm the activity is always like this. Most
of the posters here are frequently the same core posters that
have been with D for years, that you answering in the posts.

Same as on Reddit. You get new people from time to time posting
things and the older guard answering questions. For the rest its
kind of dead over at reddit.

D is more active then lets say 3 or 4 years ago but its not
exactly a hotbed of activity.

If you think you have issues with order, take a look at bauss his
post:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/gckkndggmigijnmrmgae@forum.dlang.org

And yes, people are again arguing about order of execution when
the results need to be 01 but they get -10 on DMD. LDC actually
evolves correctly to 01. Issues like this are painful for a
language you expect to have the core down to a solid bedrock.

LDC 01
DMD -10
GDC -10

If you program between DMD for faster compilation and LDC for
performance, this can result in hours or days of debugging / bug
hunting.

And in all honesty, the issues that you reported and the above
mentioned are only the tip of the mountain. Every few weeks
topics comes up where people exec specific behavior and get
something totally different.

I understand your frustration.