Where is the dub autotester at?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Tue Nov 6 03:00:00 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 at 02:47:04 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 15:14:08 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> It really comes down to what code would break due to the
>> change, how that code breakage could be mitigated, what the
>> transition process would look like, and how Walter views the
>> issue at this point.
>
> Get a patch and I can make dubautotester run on it to see what
> breaks.
>
> I originally intended to use it to determine which patches we
> could safely backport in order to construct more stable DMDFE
> versions without vastly increasing the amount of human work.
> Like, we get a patch against master; try to apply it against
> 2.080.1 and see if it (a) still works (b) compiles everything
> that 2.080.1 did (c) doesn't compile anything that 2.080.1
> didn't.
>
> Automatically apply it to the next patch version if all that
> passes. Automatically apply the patch to the next minor version
> if only (c) fails. Make a report for human intervention. Or
> something like that. The main issue is that it takes a *lot* of
> time to run these tests, so more than one patch per day would
> require me to set up parallelism and upgrade the build box.
>
> Evaluating the effects of a proposal like this is pretty
> similar.

Has there been any talks or work to integrate Neia's auto-tester
into the D build process? For example, it could be run for the
beta and release candidates of DMD and LDC to make sure they're
not breaking dub packages unexpectedly.

The D Foundation is currently paying for build servers for the
new Buildkite CI, presumably they could be used for the dub
autotester too. I have already pledged money towards this funding
target, let's make it happen.