Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Nov 10 07:29:17 UTC 2018

On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 13:43:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> LDC recently added a linux/AArch64 CI for both its main
> branches and 64-bit ARM, ie AArch64, builds have been put out
> for both linux and Android. It does not seem that many are
> paying attention to this sea change that is going on with
> computing though, so let me lay out some evidence.
>
> [...]

Two more interesting bits of news I saw lately:

- The octa-core AArch64 CPU in the latest iPad Pro benchmarks
better than last year's core i7 Macbook Pro, a bit behind this
year's core i9 Macbook Pro:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/apple-walks-ars-through-the-ipad-pros-a12x-system-on-a-chip/

- Samsung just announced a beta linux app that allows you to run
desktop Ubuntu on DeX with the Note 9 or Tab S4:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-s-Linux-on-DeX-will-let-you-run-desktop-Linux-on-your-Android-phone.358061.0.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SgMHhrO8d8s