Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Rubn where at is.this
Sat Nov 10 11:45:22 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 10 November 2018 at 07:29:17 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 13:43:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> LDC recently added a linux/AArch64 CI for both its main
>> branches and 64-bit ARM, ie AArch64, builds have been put out
>> for both linux and Android. It does not seem that many are
>> paying attention to this sea change that is going on with
>> computing though, so let me lay out some evidence.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Two more interesting bits of news I saw lately:
>
> - The octa-core AArch64 CPU in the latest iPad Pro benchmarks
> better than last year's core i7 Macbook Pro, a bit behind this
> year's core i9 Macbook Pro:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/apple-walks-ars-through-the-ipad-pros-a12x-system-on-a-chip/

Not really that impressive, my desktop i5-2500k from like 8 years
ago is still faster than the CPU in last years Macbook pro. Intel
has been stagnate with their 14nm processors. Even this years
CPUs is still based on the same architecture as their CPU from
2-3 years ago. With Ryzen we're expected to see a CPU next year
with 64 cores and 128 threads at 7nm. Still nice to see mobile
finally catching up to laptops.

That GPU performance though, pretty impressive considering how
large the heatsinks and amount of fans are on traditional GPUs.