It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

sepiasisy sepia665 at density2v.com
Wed Nov 14 17:08:20 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 15:33:49 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 15/11/2018 4:07 AM, lagfra wrote:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/9vwvbz/2018_san_diego_iso_c_committee_trip_report_ranges/
>>

>> By 2020 C++ is planning to introduce:
>>
>> * Ranges
>
> Really butchered. From what I can see they never mentioned D in
> any of the documents (kinda glad tbh). Those documents even
> question what it should be doing...
>
> And the example code... yikes.
> No way that is going to be used.
>
>> * Contracts
>> * Concepts (`__traits`)
>> * Proper constexpr
>> * Modules
>> * Reflections
>> * Green threads
>
> Skepticism especially when there is 2023 being listed as a
> conservative estimate on the Reddit post.

In no way this is the usual trollpost (I am a participant of
SAoC). What bugs me is the shortening distance regarding what D
has to offer with respect to C++. While D for sure has a way
better syntax (thinking of template declarations, `immutable`,
UDAs) and a GC, what are the advantages of using D vs C++ if