It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

MrTypeSafe MrTypeSafe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 01:47:30 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 15:07:46 UTC, lagfra wrote:
> ...what are the advantages of using D vs C++ if my goal is to
> build a complex system / product?

That 'goal' really needs further refinement ;-)

What is a 'complex system/product' anyway?

Are you building an o/s kernel?

Are you building a relational database system?

> what will D offer with respect to C++ when almost all key
> features of D are present in C++20(+)?

So you've moved from a pretty blurry goal, to comparing 'language
features'..already?

You really need to start at a higher level of thinking first.

What paradigm will best suit the 'complexity' you mention?
  (and remember, multi-paradigm could just increase that
complexity and place extra burden on programmers)

Do you want/need garbage collection?
Do you want/need exception handling?
Do you want/need a unified type system?
Do you want/need cross-platform (whatever that means these days).
How stable is the language?
How many developers are you likely to need?
How experienced will they need to be?
How easy can you obtain their services, and at what cost?
Can you retain such programmers over the lifetime of the product?

Comparing language features in order to discover which language
best suits your goal, first depends on having a clear goal in the
first place.

Ask the right questions first. That's my advice.