It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

NoMoreBugs NoMoreBugs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 00:19:34 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 November 2018 at 21:40:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> You have been grossly misinformed.  Walter works full-time on
> D, and Andrei *quit* his career at Facebook in order to work
> full-time on D. What else do you expect them to do to prove
> their commitment to D??

It's hard to be critical of Walter and Andrei, it really is...
but....

I would suggest, being more open to change, perhaps.

My impression of D at the moment, is that it just wants to remain
stable, and that it has become too difficult to get change
through the two gatekeepers (Walter and Andrei), and so people
are not even bothering to try anymore.

Of course my impression could be wrong, but it is what it is.

But being stable in an environment where change is now 'the norm'
for programming languages, could be the death nail for D.

Every other language is on the move...and it looks like it will
stay that way for the foreseeable future.

C#/dotnet is (finally) poised to take over the world. Still a
little way to go ;-)

The future of programming languages is about safer, more correct
code, where the programmer can clearly show their intent - and
all by default. You'll have to make the effort to write less
safe, more obtuse code - whereas these days, you have to make the
effort to create safe, correct code!

(e.g. private state within a module - nope. you have to
re-architect just to get private state)

Anyway, as a developer (of anything), no.1 rule is: If you don't
listen to your users, then you won't have any users soon enough.

I would like to quote Stroustrup (where he is speaking about the
language he initially designed):

"We have two ways of going forward..one is to find a better
alternative..and two..is to transform the old crud into the new
stuff.. that's where the future is."

D has lots of 'crud' too. It needs transformation (one way or
another).

Most importantly, is to remind Walter and Andrei, that D needs to
serve it's users (not the other way around). Because there are
alternatives to D.