It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Nov 17 07:05:58 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 02:07:45AM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> (it's fascinating on these kinds of threads the number of accounts
> that pop up who I never recall having posted before, whatever that may
> mean)

When an unusually large number of new accounts suddenly pop up, all
pretty much echoing the same opinions with the same tone and writing
style, it's usually an indication that sockpuppeteering is going on.
*shrug*  That's just what some people do with the convenient anonymity
of the internet.  It's a practice as old as Usenet, and I've learned to
just ignore it.

[...]
> Its a particular subset that post on the forums at all, and plenty of
> people active on the forums don't express themselves on these kinds of
> threads.  A subset of a subset.
>
> I know a few people active in the development of the language and
> library that don't say much on the forums because they feel making
> pull requests are more productive.

Also, sometimes these forum discussions just devolve into mud-flinging
and/or never-ending reiteration of opinions with no forward progress, so
after a while it becomes clear that it's just a waste of time and energy
that could have been better spent elsewhere. Like submitting PRs to make
D better.

[...]
> And to return to an old point.  It's much better to focus on people
> that like what you are doing and already using your product than those
> who say "if only you would do X, D would be huge".  That's the nature
> of the innovator's dilemma and also if one is to be persuasive then
> it's helpful to remember that talk is cheap, whereas making a closely
> reasoned argument accompanied by skin in the game - now that is much
> more persuasive.

+1.  When it becomes clear to me that a particular debate participant
has no vested interest in D, I usually find myself very disinclined to
respond.  Talk is cheap for a bystander who can just idly point out all
of your flaws yet without lifting a finger himself. Words mean so much
more when the person is actually writing D code and facing actual issues
in actual, for-real code.  Or better yet, actually contributing to D and
pointing out issues that he discovered in the process.

This sentence is false.