It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:14:18 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 November 2018 at 13:38:17 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Friday, 16 November 2018 at 13:10:19 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> I've never had C++ projects break due to a compiler update,
>> nor have I ever filed a clang or gcc bug.
>
> But that's because C++ is way older than D and has had a lot
> more work done to it.

Yes. That doesn't change the current state of affairs.

> C++ hasn't always been elegant

I don't think C++ has ever been elegant, except for the
introduction of the STL.

> and I'll bet you Walter can come up with a lot of issues with
> C++ from back when he worked on C++ compilers.

I don't need to, I remember them. There's a reason Qt looks the
way it does: at the time compilers couldn't be relied to compile
templates properly. I learned the STL by not learning the actual
*standard* template library. There were a lot of similar
incompatible implementations.

> Clang and GCC do have a lot of bugs too though, but they're
> usually much more "precise" and not so much "general" as most
> bugs in D, but eventually D will reach the same level.

I know. I didn't suggest they were bug free, just that I've never
personally filed a bug for either of those compilers. I have 19
to my name on dmd.

> I have never had any breakage because of a D compiler update in
> my own projects for the past 2+ years, but I have with 3rd
> party libraries though, so I'm not entirely free of that either.

I've literally lost count.

> As long as D is as open as it is, then I think it'll continue
> to have breakage with each bigger release.

I hope not!

> The good thing though is that it's usually not necessary to
> update your compiler version and you can generally wait a few
> versions until you update and that way you can skip most
> breakage.

Again, something I've never had to do with clang or gcc.