It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

NoMoreBugs NoMoreBugs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:09:30 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 at 23:50:56 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> Evidently you don't see yourself as part of the D community
> from your phrasing.  That's an assertion and we are all
> entitled to our opinions but to be persuasive reasoned
> arguments are often more effective. What you say is the
> opposite of my experience as well as basic commercial common
> sense.

I understand the psychological basis of that assertion and the
reaction you want to get from those who read it (to
dismiss/ignore me because I'm an outsider).

But your logic and your assertion is misguided.

I don't see myself as a part of any 'language' community.

This is where we seem to differ, a lot.

A programming language for me is a tool to an end.

Its serves me. I do not serve it - or its community.

Its just a tool - that all it is.

You don't build communities around a 'hammer' or a 'spanner'.

It's not unreasonable that I give feedback on how that tool can
better serve me.

We also seem to differ on what a 'contributor' is.

To me, the focus is always on the user, and their needs, not on
the language and its needs. I think our views really differ here
too.

I also believe the language designer(s) are ultimately
responsible for the mistakes that programmers continually make
(and yes, here I'm paraphrasing someone who is well known and
well respected in the computer science field).

I don't want a faulty hammer or spanner in my toolbox.

> A very small number of minds working closely together can be
> creative and design something beautiful, or have a chance to do
> so.  A committee, notoriously, is a machine for suppressing
> creativity.

The proof of your argument needs evidence.

D has had 10 years (since D2) of 'creativity time', and much
longer than that in reality.

Look at what the C++ committee has been able to accomplish in the
same amount of time.

I don't object to creative endeavors. It's what makes life
worthwhile.

But after 18 years, is that what D (still) is?

Or is it a serious tool that serious programmers should take
seriously.

And which perspective is the foundation committed too?