How high level is D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:26:04 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 at 09:56:16 UTC, bmelo wrote:
> Hi people, I’m new to D and I am curious about how high level
> is D compared to another languages. I have a list of what
> languages to compare and I wanna know where you would classify
> D among them.
> The languages are: C, C++, Objective-C, D, Go, Swift, Pascal,
> Fortran, BASIC, Cobol, C#, Forth and Java.
>
> When I talk about low and high level language I’m referring to
> how much control the language gives to the hardware and what
> has more abstraction levels.

In this regard, D is a lot like C++ in the regard that it can go
both low-level and high-level. You can go as low as you can with
C/C++/Forth: You can drop the type system, manage raw memory and
even embed assembly into code.

But D can also get high-level and abstract a lot. Of the
languages you listed, I don't think any of them, with possible
exception of Swift (which I don't know about, except that it's a
new language), or Forth with some VERY advanced meta library, can
match expressive power of D.