How high level is D?

Aurélien Plazzotta cmoi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 03:02:49 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 at 09:56:16 UTC, bmelo wrote:
> Hi people, I’m new to D and I am curious about how high level
> is D compared to another languages. I have a list of what
> languages to compare and I wanna know where you would classify
> D among them.
> The languages are: C, C++, Objective-C, D, Go, Swift, Pascal,
> Fortran, BASIC, Cobol, C#, Forth and Java.
>
> When I talk about low and high level language I’m referring to
> how much control the language gives to the hardware and what
> has more abstraction levels.

Hello there,

I'm not able to comment on the hypothesis illustrated due to lack
of expertise but here is a picture suggested by c2lang.org.
However, I can't find the exact source so I'm posting here the
french article dealing about une new implementation of C (i.d.
C2) who used the visual comparison of several but not all
languages's abstraction levels:
https://www.developpez.com/actu/185979/C2-un-langage-qui-se-presente-comme-une-evolution-de-C-plus-rapide-sans-fichiers-d-en-tete-avec-systeme-de-build-integre-et-d-autres-changements/

You can directly look at the picture if it's more convenient for
you:
https://www.developpez.com/public/images/news/C201.png

Please notice it doesn't involve all programming languages you
are looking for a comparison but I hope it helps you a bit.
It was posted on 2018/02/01.