It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:26:03 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 10:08:06 UTC, Chris wrote:
> The thing is that - as you mentioned yourself - there's loads
> of stuff out there already: Dpp, DStep, Joakims ARM stuff,
> Polyglot.h etc. Is it so unreasonable to expect the D
> Foundation to focus on collecting all the brilliant work that's
> been done by volunteers so far (fair play to them!) and package
> it as a nice product that can be extended as needed? That'd be
> a killer package and a good selling point for D. It's only
> common sense.
>
> The D Foundation initially gave me hope that something like
> that would happen, and then you could get medium to big players
> on board (what's a million dollars to IBM or the like?)
> However, it got worse than before. While the development of D
> used to be a bit chaotic it has now become an autocratic chaos.
> The focus has shifted from improving D as a language (including
> tooling, packaging etc) to obsessing over the pet feature of
> the day. It's more of a hobby project now than ever before. And
> mind you, the D Foundation is young, but D is 18+ years old.

The lack of vision is problematic indeed, and I am doing
something about it. The foundation is due to meet with industry
users in a few weeks to resolve issues and set a clear direction,
which will cover many of those points (hopefully a better
replacement for those vision documents that are long overdue).
Watch this space...