Why isn't dip1000 fully implemented yet?

Daniel N no at public.email
Thu Nov 22 11:55:14 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 10:12:12 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
wrote:

> dlang.org#2453 is a blocker for that, and _not_ the other way
> round, for the sole reason that without knowing what it is
> supposed to do, it is impossible to review (the bugzilla issues
> are not helpful).
>
> Note that dlang.org#2453 also documents other changes to
> dip1000 that walter has made and has chosen not to document
> (just recently I had to inform Razvan who is otherwise a very
> capable compiler developer what the situation was because there
> is no documentation), which makes the whole process even worse
> because the implementation bears less and less resemblance to
> the documentation and keeping track of interactions gets
> combinatorially more difficult, and when reviewers are faced
> with that they simply just do not review.

"impossible to review" is a very strong statement, how then were
you able to write the spec? I had no issues understanding what
Walter meant both comments and the test cases speak for
themselves, he also offered to answer any questions.

If there is any corner case which you don't understand, it would
imho be more constructive to ask him to add a new test case for
it in #8504 so that any ambiguity will be cleared, future
regressions prevented and coverage improved. It's very easy to
misunderstand a written explanation, but code can only be
interpreted one way. This is even more so for an international
project where not everyone is a native English speaker.

In my world the spec/doc/changelog is just a release blocker for
the next official external compiler release, but by all means
merge them simultaneously, now that they both are available.