It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Nov 22 22:49:25 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:04:36PM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 11:14:54 UTC, Chris wrote:
[...]
> > However, a lot of IT companies (small, medium and big) also have to
> > adapt to the market in terms of third party products like Android
> > and iOS and other technologies (including those that do not yet
> > exist). Once that's the case, D is one of the worst choices
> > possible.
>
> D doesn't have the best GUI libraries, that's quite true.  JNI is not
> that bad so if you wanted everything but the front end in D would it
> be so tough?  You might be right about the situation on ios as I
> haven't heard of people doing much there in D - last I heard the hard
> work was done but the last stage - something relating to bitcode if I
> recall right.
[...]

Joakim has done an amazing job making LDC cross-compile to Android.
Currently I'm working on an Android project that has Java talking to D
code via JNI.  It works fairly well, though with some amount of
boilerplate that at some point I'm expecting to factor out into a
template that auto-generates JNI wrappers. So far I have the majority of
my code in D, so the need for JNI wrappers has been pretty minimal, but
at some point I'll probably be wanting more convenient ways of
interacting with Java, and D's metaprogramming power will be brought to
bear.

Let X be the set not defined by this sentence...