It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Fri Nov 23 17:16:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:57:27 +0000, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 23 November 2018 at 15:48:13 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:25:57 +0000, Joakim wrote:
>>> Why hasn't ruby/rails, Rust, or Nim gotten backing from big players
>>> yet?
>>
>> Mozilla's 2016 revenue was half a billion dollars. I would certainly
>> hope that's big enough ot count as a big player.
>
> Sociomantic was over $100 million in revenue in 2013 before they got
> bought, according to this 2014 press release:
>
> "Sociomantic Labs GmbH... employs more than 200 professionals in 16
> offices worldwide with over $100 million in revenue in 2013"
> https://www.dunnhumby.com/dunnhumby-acquires-sociomantic-revolutionise-
digital-advertising

> So do we already have a big player backing D? ;) Of course, both are
> tiny compared to google or Apple, who're backing Go and Swift.

Sociomantic is an ad company making 0.5% as much as Google, which is an ad
company plus a lot of other things that suggest a much broader developer
focus. If Sociomantic does spend as much proportionately on developer /
community stuff as Google, we should expect 0.5% as much benefit.

Mozilla is a company that serves developers as a huge portion of its
purpose. So while it's got about 2% of the revenue of Google, it spends a
lot more proportionately on developer-oriented stuff.