It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Fri Nov 23 17:44:43 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 November 2018 at 17:16:42 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:57:27 +0000, Joakim wrote:
>> On Friday, 23 November 2018 at 15:48:13 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mozilla's 2016 revenue was half a billion dollars. I would
>>> certainly hope that's big enough ot count as a big player.
>>
>> Sociomantic was over $100 million in revenue in 2013 before
>> they got bought, according to this 2014 press release:
>>
>> "Sociomantic Labs GmbH... employs more than 200 professionals
>> in 16 offices worldwide with over $100 million in revenue in
>> 2013"
>> https://www.dunnhumby.com/dunnhumby-acquires-sociomantic-revolutionise-
> digital-advertising
>>
>> So do we already have a big player backing D? ;) Of course,
>> both are tiny compared to google or Apple, who're backing Go
>> and Swift.
>
> Sociomantic is an ad company making 0.5% as much as Google,
> which is an ad company plus a lot of other things that suggest
> a much broader developer focus. If Sociomantic does spend as
> much proportionately on developer / community stuff as Google,
> we should expect 0.5% as much benefit.
>
> Mozilla is a company that serves developers as a huge portion
> of its purpose. So while it's got about 2% of the revenue of
> Google, it spends a lot more proportionately on
> developer-oriented stuff.

That makes no sense: all three are primarily geared towards their
customers, ie advertisers who want to sell stuff to you.

But of the three, google is the one that serves devs the most as
a proportion of their business, not Mozilla, with their
development platforms and SDKs like Android, Google Cloud, Google
Assistant, etc.