It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:54:56 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 November 2018 at 00:11:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 03:56:31PM -0800, Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 11/23/2018 4:59 AM, Chris wrote:
>> > Then there was the whole issue of ARM. Walter said he had no
>> > experience with it and kinda didn't care either,
>>
>> Actually, a person in the D community was working for a couple
>> years on an ARM back end, but he eventually lost interest and
>> it was abandoned.
>
> LDC is already well able to target ARM -- I've been using it to
> write Android apps, and while it takes a bit of work to set up,
> once it's setup it works very well.
>
> Frankly, I would not be particularly interested in an ARM
> target for dmd: dmd's weak optimizer, sorry to say, makes it a
> rather unattractive option compared to LDC.  And now that LDC
> is keeping up with DMD releases, I'm quite tempted to just
> start using LDC for all of my D projects, or at least all the
> performance-sensitive ones, since it would be keeping up with
> the latest features / bugfixes.
>

>> Building a backend is something usually teams of people work
>> on exclusively.  It's a little unfair to expect me to do one
>> spending an hour or so a day on it. I can't order someone to
>> work on it, I can't hire someone to work on it.
>>
>> It had to wait until someone both competent and self-motivated
>> stepped up to do it.
>
> I would much rather Walter spend his time on higher-level, more
> important D issues than writing another dmd backend.  Though I
> wouldn't mind if he gave a bit more love to the dmd optimizer.
> ;-)  (When will we get loop unrolling?)

I can add that the documentable presence of the LLVM backend in
LDC since a long time is considered a positive point from the the
customer point of view. LLVM has a strong reputation, and simply
add value to delivered product, along with a better acceptance
that the source code is written in D

DMD adds us values during the development phase, as it's still
faster than LDC (also if it's not so much more faster as used to
be years ago).

Paolo